Completed in 2014, the project is an extensive renovation and expansion of the existing synagogue built in 1948. The existing sanctuary was repurposed for social and educational activities, and a new house of worship was added. The new addition features an entry forecourt, terraced landscaping and a colourful glass canopy that washes the building with ethereal amber and golden light.

The new sanctuary features a massive wall clad in variegated slabs of Jerusalem stone that surrounds the Ark and Holy Scriptures housed within. A narrow skylight washes the stone wall in natural light. Upholstered pews form concentric arcs around a raised Bimah to create an intimate setting for worship. The sanctuary expands from 400-seats to 1,400-seats during High Holy Days.

The remainder of the facility house classrooms, seniors lounge, youth hall, conference centre, meeting rooms and administration offices.

recognition

2015
Faith and Form Religious Architecture Award

Masonry Institute of British Columbia Award of Merit

Vancouver Regional Construction Association
General Contractors Silver Award

family plaza

family plaza

approach

approach

entry

entry

canopy

canopy

upper lobby

upper lobby

upper lobby

upper lobby

reflection

reflection

lobby entry

lobby entry

vestibule

vestibule

yahrzeit wall

yahrzeit wall

ascent

ascent

glazing

glazing

conference + lounge

conference + lounge

glazing graphic

glazing graphic